Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Laura's Brownie Biscotti

So I have a confession to make...I used to hate chocolate. Okay, maybe hate is a strong word, but I just wasn't thrilled about it. Then I got pregnant with my son Logan over 7 years ago, and my whole taste for for foods got shook up. Suddenly chocolate was just simply delicious. That love has still never gone away. So now, at least half the stuff I make is chocolaty.
The other day I decided to try making one of my favorite chocolaty treats: chocolate biscotti. I used to buy them once in awhile, but I few years ago, I decided to stop buying treats all the time to save money. So now, if I want something, I try to see if I can make it. I had found a recipe for it on Allrecipes.com a long time ago, and finally decided to give it a go.
They turned out perfectly! I couldn't believe it! It actually looked AND tasted like biscotti! It was such a hit with my hubby, that he begged me to make more the next day. Here are a few pictures of the finished product:






They are surprisingly easy to make, and much cheaper than buying one at a coffee shop where they are normally around 2 bucks a pop.  During the second time making it, I tweaked the recipe to suit my needs. here is what I came up with:

 Laura's Brownie Biscotti

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 egg yolk, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • about 2/3 cup any flavor chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease baking sheets, or line with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Dough will be stiff, so mix in the last bit by hand.
  3. Divide the dough into two equal parts. Shape into 9x2x1 inch loaves. Place onto baking sheet 4 inches apart. Brush with mixture of water and yolk.
  4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm. Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
  5. Using a serrated knife, slice the loaves diagonally into 1 inch slices. Return the slices to the baking sheet, placing them on their sides. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or until dry.
  6.  After cooling completely, place the chocolate chips on a plate and microwave until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
  7. Then dip flat side of each biscotti in the chocolate. Put in the refrigerator to set. If you have extra chocolate  remaining, place in a plastic baggie, then cut small tip off a corner, to drizzle over the biscotti. Return to the refrigerator to set again. Then enjoy!
  8. Store the remaining in an airtight container. 

There you go! Hope you love them as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment