Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Laura's chocolate chip cookie dough brownie cake

I have been seeing pictures around the internet of something I knew that we just had to try right away: chocolate chip cookie dough brownies.
My son Logan always wants to eat raw cookie dough. Every time he see's me whipping something up, the question always is: "Does that have raw eggs in it?" I am a freak when it comes to raw things. I refuse to eat sushi unless its California veggie rolls, I only eat steak that's well cooked, and I DON'T eat raw cookie dough!  So unfortunately for Logan, I would always say yes it does, and not let him have even the tiniest taste. Poor Logan.
So, when I saw this recipe, I was so relieved to see that the cookie dough is egg free! HOORAY! We can finally have our cake and eat it too. Literally!
So I finally set to make some for ourselves.  I had to adjust the recipe to fit our ingredients, and the pans that we have on hand, so I decided to add my own touches, scale down her recipe, and make it into a cake instead of a brownie bar. Here is what I came up with:

Laura's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownie Cake

 

Ingredients:

Brownie layer
2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Cookie Dough Layer:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup semisweet chips
1/4 teaspoon canola oil

Directions:

1. Brownie Layer: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate. In a medium glass bowl, melt chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. In a large mixing bowl, mix butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract. Mix in melted chocolate. Blend in flour and mix just until combined (don't over-mix). Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven when toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
2. Cookie dough layer: In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to combine butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Mix in milk and vanilla. Mix in flour, by hand just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Spread cookie dough over the cooled brownies. Then melt remaining chocolate chips with the oil in a small bowl, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Spoon into a plastic baggie and snip of the tip,  then squeeze onto the brownie in whatever pattern you wish. Refrigerate until the dough is pretty firm. I always just use the freezer, just to speed things up. When dough is firm, cut into 8 wedges using a sharp knife. Wipe the knife off with a paper towel in between cuts since the fudgy layers of brownie and cookie dough will stick to the knife.

And there you have it! Perfect for all raw cookie dough and brownie lovers alike!

-Laura

1 comment:

  1. Looks super yummy. I heart chocolate. Stopping by to let you know that you won the Liebster Award check it out at http://diygoddessintraining.blogspot.com/2011/10/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete